Thursday 19 June 2014

I love a good list.

Welcome to my blog about a cycle tour of the lidos of the South West of England.

My name is Jen and I am a lover of swimming and cycling. I am also a lover of running, but the lidos of the South West are too far flung to run between them all, so I have had to resort to favourite sport number 3.



On Sunday, my husband and I are about to embark on a really cool holiday/mini adventure. We're heading down to the Cotswolds in "Netti the Special Edition Adventure Yeti" to start our tour of the many beautiful lidos with which this part of the country appears to have been gifted. Lucky South West people! We are basing ourselves in a yurt... I always wanted to stay in a yurt!... in Chalford and we will be cycling to and from the lidos in a kind of "hub and spoke" manner.

I'm going to review each trip. The cycle and the lido with facts, figures, photos and my own personal opinions of the day. I may include some comments from my knowledgeable other half, who feels that the history of the lido may also be of interest to readers! I suspect each lido trip will also involve some serious coffee and cake stops, so I'll be telling you about those too with cake ratings from hubby.

I have been inspired by some lovely books; Kate Rew's Wild Swim and The Wild Guide to Devon, Cornwall and the South West; maps (I love maps), blogs...well blog really (Jenny Landreth's Swimming Round London http://swimmingroundlondon.blogspot.co.uk/) and my own personal experience of lido swimming in the UK and New Zealand.


There has been some serious planning. I've written my list (I love a good list) and the packing is about to commence, but before I put my last cossie in the bag, hubby and I plan to have a practice swim in Hathersage lido http://www.hathersageswimmingpool.co.uk/ on Sunday morning at their Solstice Swim, just in time for sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment